What could the charge be for criminal possession of a so called "billy club" in the state of new york?

Schenectady, NY |

i am trying to find out what the charge/charges could be for criminal possession of a billy club could be with a two time convicted felon.

1. Could be charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree a class D felony.

2. 7 years on a D felony bump up due to the prior conviction.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. Normally this would be charged as Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the 4th Degree, a class A misdemeanor under PL 265.01. However because of the prior conviction, they will likely charge Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Third Degree, a class D felony punishable up to 7 years jail. I copied the statute for your information.

§ 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.
    A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third
    degree when:
    (1) Such person commits the crime of criminal possession of a weapon
    in the fourth degree as defined in subdivision one, two, three or five
    of section 265.01, and has been previously convicted of any crime
    Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office who has been specializing in criminal law for over 15 years. I offer free consultations by telephone, in-office or by videoconference.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com

4. Likely to be charged as a CPW3.

5. It is a misdemeanor but the DA can elevate it to a felony because of the prior conviction.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.