What could happen if I breach an employment contract?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lowell, MA

My contract says I have to give four weeks notice before leaving, but I've been offered a great job I have to start in one week. Can my previous employer do anything to me?

.

1. Gary S. Sinclair

1

Answered . It depends on your contract, but the least your present employer could do is give you a bad reference or no reference. I would advise that you have a heart to heart talk with your boss and see if you can leave on good terms.

2. Lauren Craig Redmond

Answered . At minimum you would be liable for breach of contract.

3. Erik Hammarlund

Answered . Contracts are entirely fact-specific. As a result, there is rarely a general answer to any contract question.

Here, for example, some of the possible responses include "the contract is unenforceable, so you can leave if you want," to "you'll be in breach, but it's unlikely you'll be sued," to "you will be liable for significant damages if you leave without proper notice."

You need to take your contract to an employment attorney ASAP.

4. Darrel S Jackson

Pro

Answered . An employment lawyer would need to analyze the contract that you siged to give you a careful evaluation. However, I can share that MA is an "at will" employment state, which means that both the employer and employee are free to end the employment relationship at any time. Good luck.