Skip to main content

What constitutes contempt so that someone may file a motion to show cause on you? is it for not answering letter in writing

Bend, OR |

can I be brought in contempt for not answering a request in writing? do I have to legally answer all requests from spouse now we are in divorce process? it is not a request for discovery, its other issues. can I ignore his frivelous relentless requests? do I have to answer? do I have to answer in writing? can a phone call be enough legally between attorneys? if I have to answer do I have to go through attorney? can I send response to his? there is a TRO against him so he can't directly call and harrass asking for frivelous stuff so he does it through legal system? he threatens to file motion to show cause if he doesnt get what he wants even though his requests are not reasonable or can be done because some of them dont make sense or just crazy and not compliable which is why he makes them.

he makes lots of frivelous requests that can not actually be done or that benfit him at a disadvantage to me financially. do I have to keep answering him? is there a way to stop these? its making my legal bill huge? which is also part of the point because I have limited funds. what is my recourse? he's filed one motion to show cause on false statement to court. can anyone just file a motion to show cause without good reason and then the other party has to go to court?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. An attormeynwill need to review your court order to tell you if you are in violation. Mi am sorry your are going through this. If it is frivolous and the requests have no basis but to harass or annoy he may be in violation of your restraining order. Again an Attormey will want to see the orders as well as the communications.

    Good luck to you.

    The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.

  2. This may help you understand whether your actions constitute contempt: Read section 2 for the definition.

    You have a lot of questions, which makes it a bit difficult in this type of setting to provide you the information you're looking for. Sounds like you do have an attorney. Many of these questions would probably be better answered by him or her.

    My responses to posts on AVVO are not legal advice, nor do they create an attorney-client relationship. In order to provide true (and reliable) legal advice, an attorney must be able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather the appropriate information. In order for an attorney-client relationship to exist, you and I both have to agree the the terms of such an agreement.

  3. This is a duplicate thread. This question was also asked and addressed here:

    Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online: