What constitutes "written permission" in online purchases?

Asked 6 months ago - San Jose, CA

I run a business that prints hard copies of certificates issued online only. Recipients send me a link and ask that I print it out. Some ask that I add a generic gold sticker as embellishment (i.e. make it nicer). Can they just check off a box agreeing to a statement OR do they need to actually type it out?I want to avoid problems with copyright/trademark infringement, claims of authenticity etc..

Many thanks for your help!

The certificate is issued by an online school in digital form only (up to recipients to print it out).

If checking off a box is suffice, can I use this statement:
Yes, please add a gold seal to my certificate! I understand that the seal sticker does not authenticate the certificate, is not endorsed by or an endorsement from the school or education company, and is solely for decorative purposes only.

1. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . You are not the school. However, I see no legal liability in your adding a gold seal provided it is a generic seal not something like a school logo or embossed with any school motto or official indicia of any kind. The problem is printing certificates without permission. You violate both copyright and trademark law when you do this. Likely the school would provide you a permission letter if you ask, as the school is surely doing online certificates just to save money and pass the cost of printing on to the students. There is some chance of an implied license here is the school chooses to force students to do the printing and authorizes students to print out certificates.

The agreement you need is not from the student, it is from the school. The student is not going to sue you for infringement, but the school might. However, I think since the school has a vested interest in having its certificates look good, I think it's actually quite likely they would approve of your doing this.

Look for the win-win opportunity in any problem like this. Why not approach the school and pay a small royalty to the school in return for being an "official printer"? The school is obviously cutting certificate printing costs to save money, so it seems quite likely they would be eager to turn the certificates into a money maker through licensing some printer like you to be their "official printer". There's where your real opportunity lies. Good Luck, and, you're welcome.

2. Mark Wayne Good

Pro

Answered . Checking off a box online is sufficient to create a binding contract, however you have additional problems with potentially infringing the intellectual property rights of the organization which issues the certificates. I would recommend that you hire an attorney and work directly with this organization to avoid liability and protect yourself.

3. Maurice N Ross

Pro

1

Answered . Checking a box with the agreed statement is sufficient to create a contract. But that is the least of your problems here. You cannot legally add this gold sticker to the certificates without approval from the on-line school that issues the certificates. In so doing, you are creating a derivative work in violation of copyright law (unless you receive permission). Further, you may also be violating trademark law by associating the trademark of the institution with a form of certificate that it did not approve. Without approval from the on-line school that issues these certificates, you should not be printing copies of the certificates in which you add a generic gold sticker. That can land you in hot water (i.e., an expensive law suit).