What constitues a hostile work environment and harassment in the workplace?

Latham, NY |

I was recently terminated from my position as a registered nurse. I have a 26 year history of employment with 25 plus at the same facility. Over the course of a year that I was employed at a facility created by a merger, I was consantly accused of wrong doings, I was spoken to and addressed for false accusations, I was addressed for things that others were clearly guilty of and it was tolerated. I was referred to as the ring leader and for this I was targeted. I repeatedly asked my boss if there was a target on my back, or a reward for the individual who drummed up the most information. I was always guilty of whatever anyone would tell her. I had brought my concerns about how I was treated to the assistant manager, and to the Nurse Educator.

Hostile work Environment generally means a "sexually charged" atmosphere that individuals find offensive. The term would not include a place where people are generally mean and target other individuals. This happens after mergers. What you might want to give thought to, is whether this Merged institution was trying to eliminate older more senior employees.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Point well taken. It was often suggested that I was targeted because I was experienced and educated. It just seemed funny that in 25+ years I had no problem with any postion I had been in.

Attorney Gold is absolutely correct. The real question here is why were you singled out?

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRoseMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.