Skip to main content

What comes after wage garnishment

Nicholasville, KY |

A debt collector was awarded wage garnishment against me about a year ago. In the last year they have not received any payment because I work part time and do not make enough money. What will likely be their next step? Will they come after my property or my spouses income?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unless it's a joint debt, they can't go after your spouse's income. They can attach bank accounts, may be able to place liens on your home and cars, etc. Speak with a local bankruptcy attorney for more information. You can find one at

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.


They can levy your bank accounts and other assets. If you have more than a just a little debt you should consider bankruptcy as a solution. You can find a great attorney here on this website by clicking on the Find A Lawyer tab.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney. It is important to have a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.


If you have property for the creditor to put a lien on they might, usually they will look to levy your bank account. You do not live in a community property state, so they cannot come after your spouses' income.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer