What color clothes would look better in a jury trial?

Clovis, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I am going to buy clothes for my brothers trial. I want him to look professional and innocent but have no idea what color or styles I should look for. What colored shirts, pants, and shoes should I buy?

I have talked to his attorney and he just said "professional" clothes. I have tried calling his attorney to talk about it but he ignores my calls and usually gets back to me too late (day of or day before court). I need to purchase his clothes before the 20th of this month which is why I am asking for advice on here.

You may want to talk to his attorney about this. It will depend on the theme that the prosecutor is trying to create and what the defense will use in their theme. Appearances do matter but it would be impossible to answer over the internet.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

Seriously? This is a legal question? Have your brother's attorney discuss what he should wear to his trial.

You are correct in that your brother should look good at trial. One word of advice is not to wear any clothing that will fit the description of an eyewitness or what was on a camera. Have everything approved by his attorney. Here are a couple of suggestions:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/jurors_less_likely_convict_defendants_wearing_glasses_say_lawyers_and_2008_/

http://course1.winona.edu/CFried/journal/Papers%202009/Kateri%20formatted.pdf

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Gayle Anne-Marie Gutekunst

Good advice about what NOT to wear.

Adding my 2 cents: Don't put your brother in clothing which is not his way of dressing. If the only time he wears a suit is when he is in a wedding party, he will look very uncomfortable in a suit at trial. A tie, dress shirt and nice shoes and pants works. Also, provide socks so he doesn't have to wear the jail socks - which is a giveaway. The shirts should be long-sleeve to cover up his wristband identifying him as an inmate. But his attorney should have the final say. The other CA attorneys' advice is sold.

White long sleeve dress shirt. Solid or stripe tie (they are sometimes hard to find because these are considered old fashioned) . I prefer red or burgundy ties. Black shoes. Black socks. Black belt.
An inexpensive suit is better than no suit at all, navy blue or gray.

Depending on how long the trial will be, you will need multiple shirts and ties.

Ask his attorney. I guarantee he or she will agree with me.

I am a former Deputy District Attorney and former DA Family Support Attorney. This answer is not intended to give specific legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. Michael Scheid may be reached at (209)544-5727. For new Criminal Defense clients and Personal Injury clients the initial consultation is free.

Every defendant should wear a blue suit, white shirt, blue or burgundy tie, belt, black shoes shined, be well groomed, clean shaved, and hide their Nazi tattoos.