Skip to main content

What city would i go to to file a civil claim of conversion case to get my pet back?

Princeton, NC |

My "friend" stole my pet. And wont return her. What city should I file to get her back? Or what do i do first. from beginning to end. I really miss my pet. I cant even look at a pet isle anymore because I feel bad and helpless. Help please.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can report the theft to the police. They might want to see some proof that the pet was yours - did you register her? Take her to the vet? Then great.

You can also file in the small claims court in the county where the thief lives. Good luck to you.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website,, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.



Thanks this was very helpful. She isnt registered yet. But I have a noterized letter from my aunt that she gave her to me and that shes mine. Do I contact the police first? Or file in the small claims court first?

Kenneth Love Jr.

Kenneth Love Jr.


Do both


To piggy back off Ms. Farber's advice, do both. I do not expect the police to put many resources into getting your pet back. You need to file a suit for "return of personal property" with the small claims court.

You can get it from the clerks or from Note that you should expect to pay approximately $150.00 to file the claim.

Kenneth Love Jr.

Kenneth Love Jr.


And Heaven forbid she has gone a registered the pet...then your battle will be very uphill.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer