What city would i go to to file a civil claim of conversion case to get my pet back?

Princeton, NC |

My "friend" stole my pet. And wont return her. What city should I file to get her back? Or what do i do first. from beginning to end. I really miss my pet. I cant even look at a pet isle anymore because I feel bad and helpless. Help please.

1. You can report the theft to the police. They might want to see some proof that the pet was yours - did you register her? Take her to the vet? Then great.

You can also file in the small claims court in the county where the thief lives. Good luck to you.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website, www.sjfarberlaw.com, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.

2. To piggy back off Ms. Farber's advice, do both. I do not expect the police to put many resources into getting your pet back. You need to file a suit for "return of personal property" with the small claims court.

You can get it from the clerks or from www.nccourts.org. Note that you should expect to pay approximately $150.00 to file the claim.