What charges or am I facing with a possession of a controlled substance???

Dothan, AL |

I have no priors. I just have one but, its a misdemeanor from a violent crime back in 2008. Other than this, I have no over priors or anything on my records.

Your question can only be answered in general terms. To receive a better, more accurate response, contact a local attorney and discuss the facts of your case with him or her.

With that being said, a person found guilty of simple possession of a controlled substance, without any other charges, and with no prior felony record, is usually a candidate for probation under the new sentencing guidelines. However, there are exceptions and the details of the charge or situation of arrest may change that. In any event, possession of a controlled substance is a felony, which is a very serious charge with lifelong consequences. You should contact a local attorney at once.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. IT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. The response given is based upon the limited facts presented in the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law in the States of Alabama and Nebraska. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise. Attorney provides no information with regard to Federal Law except to contact an attorney who is experienced in the Federal Court of relevant jurisdiction. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Usually, a possession case without priors will get you a sentence between 13-31 months under the sentencing guidelines with a non-prison recommendation. That is how the guidelines are currently working in Houston County.

No representation is made that the legal services provided are great than legal services provided by other lawyers. This answer does NOT create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to further inquiries.

How old are you? If under 21 youthful offender. Should get probation. Try to do drug diversion class if available to keep felony off record.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.