What charges am i looking at for getting caught by town police. They found NO marijuana but found scale,grinder,homemade bong?

Asked over 2 years ago - Mount Pleasant, PA

Im only 19 years old, Tonight i was at a park just got done playing basketball with my friends and as i was getting into my car and two town officers shined there flashlights in our faces and told us to get out of the car now and said they got a call that i was distributing Marijuana. i got caught with my buddy whos 16 with a scale,grinder,empty
baggies but NO Marijuana. The cop said i was 19 im going to get arrested for possession and possession of paraphernalia but i had no Marijuana on me. They took all my stuff and said theyll be in touch with me. The officer called me later that night and said "if you want to help your self out, i work tomorrow 3-11 come to the station and well talk" I just want to know like what would all happen and what charges im looking at. (PS. First time)

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James Paul Madsen

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If charged you, will likely be charged with Possession of Paraphernalia, which is an M3 (the lowest graded criminal offense other than summary offenses). Ironically this offense is more serious than possessing a small amount of marijuana itself, which would be an ungraded misdemeanor and carry a maximum sentence of 30 days.

    An M3 carries a maximum sentence of 1 year in prison but with no prior record probation is the most likely sentence. However, ARD is most likely an option and this could save you from having a criminal record altogether.

    The police obviously want you to provide them with information and perhaps even take part in a controlled buy in exchange for not charging you or withdrawing the charges.

    Contact a local attorney to review your options. Working with the police may or may not be in your best interest depending on your future plans, current situation and the way the local police handle their controlled buy and informant programs. Either way, talk to an attorney and figure out what you want to do ASAP, like tomorrow morning.

    My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can... more
  2. Ellis B. Klein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to immediately speak with an attorney. The police want you to become an informant which may or may not benefit you depending on the situation. An experienced lawyer will guide you in the right direction. DO NOT speak with the police without consulting with a lawyer first.
    Good luck

  3. Zachary Cooper

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would contact an attorney ASAP so you know and understand what your rights are. It sounds like the police would like you to be what is called an informant and "work for" them in exchange for something. This is not always a good thing and before you agree or meet with the police or DA's office you should absolutely talk with an attorney.

  4. Mark M Cheser

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. The police want you to set up other people in exchange for credit on your charge. Many times this "help" from the police was available to you anyway. Speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney from the area. Do not speak to the police without an attorney or at least speaking to one first.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,618 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,618 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering