Skip to main content

What categories of Green Card applicants (I-485) can get interviews, based on marriage with a US Citizen, in the United States?

Marietta, GA |

On what basis USCIS allow some applicants of Lawful Permanent Resident to have their interviews conducted into the US, at a local office branch, while some other Green Card applicants have to go to their home country to have theirs?

Attorney Answers 1


If you are in the U.S. and eligible to file an I-485 application based on an I-130 immigrant petition, your interview will be in the U.S.

If you are not eligible to file an I-485 or if you are residing outside the U.S., then the approved I-130 is sent to the National Visa Center which sends your file to the consulate for an immigrant visa interview.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics