What can you do about parental alienation?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Castle Rock, CO

I am the father of my 2 year old son. My soon to be ex wife and I are currently in a custody battle over our son. I have my son per our separation agreement for 9 months (September- June) for the school year and she has 3 months for the summer (June- September). My wife lives in the State of Virginia for her current occupation in the Air Force. She had come out here to visit our son sometime in January and ended up going against our agreement and took our son to the state of Virginia. I had filed for an emergency hearing to get him back in Colorado. The judge granted my wish and later in February we had a trial for abduction. She has previously accused me in court that I have beat my son, her and neglect my son's injuries. The judge had kept the child here because he recognized that

her testimony was false and had told her that day to no longer take him out of state unless the child's welfare is in actual danger.I have more info please just ask it would let me load anymore. Long story short he came back saying "Don't hit me daddy."

1. Karl J Geil

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . What I think you need to do now is not litigation related, because it sounds as if the litigation, at least for the moment, is over. You should get your son into a therapeutic relationship with a competent mental health professional. It sounds as though he is frightened and confused, and he needs someone who can help him settle down, and someone who can help you to help him.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

1

Answered . I agree completely with what Mr. Geil has offered. Good luck to you an your son.

3. James C Underhill Jr.

1

Answered . I am not clear on your facts. If you had a hearing and the judge said she could not take the child out of state then where did he "come back" from?

You also didn't indicate if there is another proceeding pending.

As for the question of alienation. It is possible to have any visitation by your wife ordered to be supervised only, which is the remedy for a parent who just won't obey the rules and may be doing things harmful to the child when they have the child. It sounds like either you need a contempt for removal of the child against the court's order, or a hearing to modify parenting time by requesting supervised visitation. Finally, it sounds like she should be paying child support to you. If so, if she is not current, then you can file a contempt on that issue as well, or use the county child services office to garnish her pay.

Your best bet is to discuss the matter with a lawyer familiar with these issues and find out your rights and options.

Many attorneys provide limited or unbundled legal services which means that you can obtain just the services you need, such as a consultation, documents, or appearance for a single hearing or mediation, and pay a lower cost. Neighborhood Law Office is such a firm.

Good Luck
    Jim
    jim@NeighborhoodLawOffice.com