What can my son do to change the length of time he is supposed to be on the sex offender registry?

Brookfield, WI |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My son was convicted of 2nd degree sex assault to a minor in 1998 when he was 19 (the girl was 15). At sentencing, he was only supose to be on teh sex offender registry for 12 years. Now he is in the records as a lifer. What can he do to fix this?

1. The best thing to do is consult with an experienced criminal lawyer. It would appear he'll have to get a copy of the transcript of the minutes of his sentencing where it says he has to be on the sex registry for 12 years. If that is in the sentencing, then, unless the state legislature has changed the law to extend sex registering from 12 yeas to life, he should make a motion to the sentencing court to end his registration requirements after he does it for 12 years.

Speak to the lawyer to check on the nuances of the situation.

2. the only way this can be changed is to reopen the case to determine if he meets the exception for him not to register. He would need to contact an experience criminal defense attorney.