Skip to main content

What can my probation officer do to me if I'm doing all that is required of me?

Woodland Hills, CA |

I am on three year formal probation. No drugs testing, kiosk most monthes, and in los angeles. I'm two years in and suddenly and with no explanation I have a new officer. One who I had years ago. He calls and says I own money and then verbally mocks my confusion, as if I'm some mastermind plotting on saving an extra twenty dollars. I have receipts and am current. He is very aggressive and seems to have a chip on his shoulder. What can he do if he simply doesn't like me but I am doing all expected of me? Should I talk to my lawyer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Read the terms of your probation and make sure you are complying with what the JUDGE ordered you to do. Check your Judgment of Sentence and Order of Probation. If you are complying, there is nothing the probation officer can do. Satisfy the Court, because unlike an employer or teacher, the JUDGE can jail you. The only way a probation officer can effect you is by asking the Court to revoke your probation due to non-compliance; it is called a "show cause" hearing, generally ("Show cause why you should not be jailed for not complying with the Court's order"). Be courteous at all times with the probation officer, but compliance is the way to avoid the Court. Take the ammunition away from the agent by following the Court's orders. Like teachers in school, you will not be able to ask for a different agent. If it gets to be too much, contact your attorney and have the attorney contact the agent to find out if there is a problem. It puts the agent on notice that you are trying to do the right thing (and that someone is watching). Good luck.


Even if you don't like it, ALWAYS try to get along with your P.O. For better and for worse they are the person you need to be compliant with during your probation. It can be all the difference between successful completion and fighting revocation.

Just cooperate and show him the receipts. Be meek and humble about this whole thing. Attitude is going to cause problems.

Clark County, NV practitioner.


Yes. Also, do your best to maintain a countenace of cooperation.


As your new PO he is probably testing you to see if you are compliant or a problem on his case load. You don't say the nature of your conviction, but depending on the crime, many different conditions could be imposed. Most important of all is whether your conviction offense is a "wobbler", a conviction that can be reduced to a misdemeanor and dismissed/expunged at the end of probation. If so you will be unable to expunge the conviction unless all terms and conditions of probation have been completed. As for the money owed, again it depends on the nature of the charge. You MUST pay all statutory fines and fees, but LA Co Probation tacks on" COPS-cost of probation services" which is usually over $3,000.00. Most judges will waive COPS if all other fines and fees are paid and if restitution was ordered, that it has been paid in full.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer