Skip to main content

What can my mother do about her father-in-law?

Clovis, CA |

Her father-in-law has been living in my parent's house. He has latelly gotten way out of hand and constantly threatens both my parents verbally of harm, accuses them neglect, theft, threatens that he will cut himself and call the police on them if they don't do what he says. He even has tried sexual passes at my mother. He is a complete nut. Yells, argues, cusses, and no respect for anyone. Not for my parents, not for the neighbors, no-one. They want to kick him out. He receives SSI benefits. We think he's bipolar or can potentially be diagnosed with a manic-like disorder but he refuses to go to a doctor, refuses to take medication, and refuses to cooperate. He's very manipulative and I am afraid that one day he will harm my parents, especially my mom. What can I/they do? Please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Possibly a 5150 to have him committed involuntarily, but speak to an attorney in your area to determine the best course of action. Good luck.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Your parents can file a request for Domestic Violence Restraining Orders to require him to stay away a certain distance from them, their home, their cars, and their family members, as a result of his threats of harm. They should at least consult with an experienced Family Law Attorney regarding the matter; if they can't afford an attorney, they should go to their local Superior Court's self-help clinic for assistance in preparing the documentation for Domestic Violence Restraining Orders.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


There are several options available, including a restraining order, possible eviction, or calling the police for assistance. Depending on the age of your parents, and their capacity, they may have to act on their own, or possibly with the assistance of others. If you would like to further discuss your options, please speak to an experienced attorney who can guide you properly. We are available at (59) 439-9999.

The answer is based upon the limited information provided and does not create an attorney-client privileged relationship.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer