Skip to main content

What can my fiance do his grandfather passed away is his will it states that my fiance is intitle or inheriated his home.

Columbus, OH |

what can we do to tranfer the house from his grandfather's name to my fiance's name there is a will the property is paid off. it has come to our attention that the house in foreclosure due to the fact that my fiance's father didnt pay property taxes like he said he was. what can we do and is there anything we can do to stop the foreclosure and transfer title and save the home

Attorney Answers 3


Well your fiance should certainly have an attorney. You also need to know if the estate is being handled and if there is a personal representative appointed and if not that person has to be appointed. It may be possible to fix the property tax situation (most easily by paying the taxes) but you have to act.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Whoever is the Executor needs to get a lawyer to represent him or her and file the necessary paperwork in Probate Court. If no one else does this, your fiance can apply. The property can only be transferred via the probate process. And it is not difficult at all to get the property taxes paid on the home and avoid the foreclosure ... assuming someone has the money to pay the taxes. Your fiance should encourage the person nominated as Executor to contact an attorney, or perhaps to waive the right to become Executor. Either the Executor or your fiance needs an expert probate attorney.

Mr. Huddleston is an Ohio-Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, with offices in Columbus and Dayton, serving client families and private business owners throughout Ohio. He may be contacted directly by phone toll-free at 888.488.7878 or by email CLH@HUDDLAW.COM. Mr. Huddleston responds to Avvo questions as a public service to help educate and provide general guidance to questioners, but his responses are not legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


My colleagues are correct; your fiancé needs a probate attorney to immediately review the state of affairs. As mentioned, as long as someone (your fiancé) has the funds to bring the property taxes current, then you should be able to avoid foreclosure. The most important part of this answer is that you must act immediately. No dates or timeframes are provided in your question, and it would be unfortunate to lose the home for failure to act expeditiously.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. 

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics