What can my fiance do his grandfather passed away is his will it states that my fiance is intitle or inheriated his home.

Asked over 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

what can we do to tranfer the house from his grandfather's name to my fiance's name there is a will the property is paid off. it has come to our attention that the house in foreclosure due to the fact that my fiance's father didnt pay property taxes like he said he was. what can we do and is there anything we can do to stop the foreclosure and transfer title and save the home

Attorney answers (3)

  1. C L Huddleston III


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Whoever is the Executor needs to get a lawyer to represent him or her and file the necessary paperwork in Probate Court. If no one else does this, your fiance can apply. The property can only be transferred via the probate process. And it is not difficult at all to get the property taxes paid on the home and avoid the foreclosure ... assuming someone has the money to pay the taxes. Your fiance should encourage the person nominated as Executor to contact an attorney, or perhaps to waive the right to become Executor. Either the Executor or your fiance needs an expert probate attorney.

    Mr. Huddleston is an Ohio-Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law, with offices in Columbus... more
  2. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Well your fiance should certainly have an attorney. You also need to know if the estate is being handled and if there is a personal representative appointed and if not that person has to be appointed. It may be possible to fix the property tax situation (most easily by paying the taxes) but you have to act.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  3. Eric Jerome Gold


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My colleagues are correct; your fiancé needs a probate attorney to immediately review the state of affairs. As mentioned, as long as someone (your fiancé) has the funds to bring the property taxes current, then you should be able to avoid foreclosure. The most important part of this answer is that you must act immediately. No dates or timeframes are provided in your question, and it would be unfortunate to lose the home for failure to act expeditiously.

    When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am... more

Related Topics

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the front door open, look in the Calendar... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,605 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,605 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering