What can my fiance do his grandfather passed away is his will it states that my fiance is intitle or inheriated his home.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Columbus, OH

what can we do to tranfer the house from his grandfather's name to my fiance's name there is a will the property is paid off. it has come to our attention that the house in foreclosure due to the fact that my fiance's father didnt pay property taxes like he said he was. what can we do and is there anything we can do to stop the foreclosure and transfer title and save the home

1. C L Huddleston III

Pro

5

Answered . Whoever is the Executor needs to get a lawyer to represent him or her and file the necessary paperwork in Probate Court. If no one else does this, your fiance can apply. The property can only be transferred via the probate process. And it is not difficult at all to get the property taxes paid on the home and avoid the foreclosure ... assuming someone has the money to pay the taxes. Your fiance should encourage the person nominated as Executor to contact an attorney, or perhaps to waive the right to become Executor. Either the Executor or your fiance needs an expert probate attorney.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

6

Answered . Well your fiance should certainly have an attorney. You also need to know if the estate is being handled and if there is a personal representative appointed and if not that person has to be appointed. It may be possible to fix the property tax situation (most easily by paying the taxes) but you have to act.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

2

Answered . My colleagues are correct; your fiancé needs a probate attorney to immediately review the state of affairs. As mentioned, as long as someone (your fiancé) has the funds to bring the property taxes current, then you should be able to avoid foreclosure. The most important part of this answer is that you must act immediately. No dates or timeframes are provided in your question, and it would be unfortunate to lose the home for failure to act expeditiously.