Skip to main content

What can i sue a guy for if i was the victim of road rage. he was charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

Orlando, FL |

i was a victim of road rage about 1 month ago . FHP arrested him and charged him with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. between the insurance and the car repairs their was a lot of money i had to put out and still dealing with getting my car fixed right.
because of this whole thing it has devalued my car. the stress and the time off work and the delay of our wedding has all be result of this.

what can i do . i do what him getting away with a slap on the wrist.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can sue him civilly for battery and perhaps criminal mischief.

Robert Jason De Groot

Robert Jason De Groot


But the easiest thing to do is let the State pursue restitution for all damages, not stress, that can be sought.


You can bring a civil suit to recover all damages you suffered as the result of his actions which were not covered by your or his insurance.

Your state and county bar associations can assist you with referrals. Your local court may also have a lawyer of the day program which could help you with a small claims suit.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


The Florida Crime Victim’s Bill of Rights states that:
Victims of crime or their lawful representatives, including the next of kin of homicide victims, are entitled to the right to be informed, to be present, and to be heard when relevant, at all crucial stages of criminal proceedings, to the extent that these rights do not interfere with the constitutional rights of the accused.

Rights of a Crime Victim
· Notification of the arrest, release or escape of the accused, if possible
· Advance notice of all court proceedings, if time permits
· Information on steps concerning freedom from intimidation
· Notification of scheduling changes
· Opportunity to have a victim advocate present during depositions
· Assistance in obtaining the return of recovered property
· A prompt and timely disposition of the case
· Prompt notification of the results of court proceedings
· To be informed, present and heard, when relevant, at all criminal proceedings
· Assistance in obtaining a Crime Victim Compensation, restitution and other service to which you may be entitled
· Up request, notification to your employer and/or school when you must appear in court
· Opportunity to submit an oral or written impact statement at the time of sentencing

Here is a link for the Crime Victim's Compensation Fund:!OpenDocument

Here is a link to the Victim Services Directory. It is very helpful:

Here is a link to the Central Florida Victim Services Center: | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer