What can I say in a statement of extreme hardship from my qualifying relatives?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

What should I talk about, or what dies that mean? I don't understand exactly what INS is asking me. They sent me a letter (in Re: to form I-485) asking me to submit a completed form I-601 application for waiver of grounds of inadmissibility. 15 years ago I had a misdemeanor for 3.5 grams of marijuana, case was disposed.
My I-130 was approved trough marriage.
Thank you

1. Veronica Tunitsky

5

Answered . Even those of us who do nothing but waivers all day every day have a hard time explaining to layperson what "extreme hardship" means because what is and what is not extreme hardship differs from family to family. This is why I-601 waivers are considered to be so complex and why you shouldn't be flying this one solo (not to mention that it's far more than just a simple statement or a simple form).

I recommend that you don't waste time (I'm sure you've been given a limited amount of time to respond) and consult about this with someone who is experienced in waivers. Moreover, are you even sure that a waiver is appropriate/required in your circumstances?

2. Fadi N. Minawi

5

Answered . An I-1601 application is not an easy waiver application and should not be taken lightly. You should contact an experienced attorney to help with that.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . You should hire an immigration attorney. Doing this kind of work is way above your pay grade.

4. Eliza Grinberg

5

Answered . Extreme hardship is a difficult concept and it is cumulative in nature. There is no one specific thing that you can say. It is rather a meticulous review of the facts and then application of the EH factors to those facts to figure out what needs to be said in the statement.

5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

4

Answered . Extreme hardship Waiver from qualifying relatives is an elaborate legal art form without any clearly defined parameters. It is like asking online what to state to write an excellent novel similar to its content and brilliancy to Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer, for instance.
    You need a splendid immigration attorney for drafting a good I-601 Waiver.