What can I press charges for? What can the man be arrested right after telling the police? What kind of attorney do I need?

Asked 10 months ago - Louisville, KY

A friend of my mother's forced his way into our home and hit my mom with the door on his way in, then proceed to yell and her and threatening and cussing at her not to call him anymore, while also throwing her on the ground several times and grabbing her. This was done all right in front of her 14 year old son, he even layed his hand on her son and almost threw him on the ground but he stopped himself. We called the police but they said that they cannon't go get him and even tried to talk her out of pressing charges, they said we would have to file a report which can take several months before anything can be done. Was this handled correctly, if not what could the police done to handle this better and is how they handled it some kind of rule they broke in their conduct?

I meant to say "What can the man be arrested for?" instead of " What can the man be arrested for right after telling the police." On the main question. Also. I meant to ask, "Can the man be arrested right after we tell the police?"
Also one last thing, He took my mother's cell phone and threatened to take it away for ever but eventually took it threw it on the ground of our apartment home.

1. James Donald Garrett

Pro

5

3

Answered . I'm not sure what to tell you. The man forced his way into your home, assaulted your mother and her son, stole her cell phone, you called the police, they came out and told you....we can't do anything? There has to more to the story. You might try calling the police department and ask to speak to the lieutenant or sergeant to get an explanation.

2. Brian Robert Dettman

3

Answered . This could help you out:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroPolice/Citizen...

3. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . Go to the Jefferson District Court Clerk's Office at 600 West Jefferson Street and fill out a criminal complaint against the wrongdoer. 502-595-4428

4. James Regan

Pro

1

Answered . This sounds like domestic violence.

Call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1−800−799−SAFE(7233) / www.thehotline.com for advice and help.

The Cycle of Domestic Violence

In 1979, psychologist Lenore Walker found that many violent relationships follow a common pattern or cycle. The entire cycle may happen in one day or it may take weeks or months. It is different for every relationship and not all relationships follow the cycle—many report a constant stage of siege with little relief.

This cycle has three parts:

Tension building phase—Tension builds over common domestic issues like money, children or jobs. Verbal abuse begins. The victim tries to control the situation by pleasing the abuser, giving in or avoiding the abuse. None of these will stop the violence. Eventually, the tension reaches a boiling point and physical abuse begins.

Acute battering episode—When the tension peaks, the physical violence begins. It is usually triggered by the presence of an external event or by the abuser’s emotional state—but not by the victim’s behavior. This means the start of the battering episode is unpredictable and beyond the victim’s control. However, some experts believe that in some cases victims may unconsciously provoke the abuse so they can release the tension, and move on to the honeymoon phase.

The honeymoon phase—First, the abuser is ashamed of his behavior. He expresses remorse, tries to minimize the abuse and might even blame it on the partner. He may then exhibit loving, kind behavior followed by apologies, generosity and helpfulness. He will genuinely attempt to convince the partner that the abuse will not happen again. This loving and contrite behavior strengthens the bond between the partners and will probably convince the victim, once again, that leaving the relationship is not necessary.

This cycle continues over and over, and may help explain why victims stay in abusive relationships. The abuse may be terrible, but the promises and generosity of the honeymoon phase give the victim the false belief that everything will be all right.

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.