Skip to main content

What can i legally do if a child is stealing money from an elderly parent?

Portland, OR |

my grandfather has alzheimer's and is blind. his daughter has control of his finances and is taking his money to pay for her things(bills, drug habit, etc.). she is not his caregiver.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You should consult with an attorney immediately, preferably one with experience in matters of elder financial abuse. If you cannot find a suitable attorney on Avvo, you may contact the Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service at (503) 684-3763.

    For informational purposes only and not to be relied upon as legal advice or for the formation of an attorney-client relationship.

  2. I don't disagree with the other poster, and I don't practice in your state or know what services are available, but in Georgia, you could also contact the Department of Fmaily and Children Services, which has an elder care division. They can investigate, and also offer programs/training/services, etc... so that this shouldn't happen again. They may even be able to assist if there is a need to rpess criminal charges (so it won't look like you are going after your aunt). But did his daughter just take over his finances or was she court appointed to do so? If court appointed, only the court can remove her from that position, if not, some other responsible relative or even a resposnible stranger (known by the court, called a guardian) may need to be appointed to handle the financial affairs of your grandfather. For that, a lawyer would be wise.

    This is not intended to be legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. If more information is needed, you should consult with an attorney in your state regarding the specifics of your situation and the options available to you.

  3. All states have abuse of elderly laws and agencies to deal with elders being abused or stolen from.
    It should be reported.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  4. I would strongly consider also contacting Adult Protective Services in your area. They will investigate and possibly refer the matter to law enforcement. Oregon has criminal and civil remedies for elder abuse.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics