What can i legally do if a child is stealing money from an elderly parent?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

my grandfather has alzheimer's and is blind. his daughter has control of his finances and is taking his money to pay for her things(bills, drug habit, etc.). she is not his caregiver.

1. Brook D Wood

6

Answered . You should consult with an attorney immediately, preferably one with experience in matters of elder financial abuse. If you cannot find a suitable attorney on Avvo, you may contact the Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service at (503) 684-3763.

2. Jody Lynn Peskin

3

Answered . I don't disagree with the other poster, and I don't practice in your state or know what services are available, but in Georgia, you could also contact the Department of Fmaily and Children Services, which has an elder care division. They can investigate, and also offer programs/training/services, etc... so that this shouldn't happen again. They may even be able to assist if there is a need to rpess criminal charges (so it won't look like you are going after your aunt). But did his daughter just take over his finances or was she court appointed to do so? If court appointed, only the court can remove her from that position, if not, some other responsible relative or even a resposnible stranger (known by the court, called a guardian) may need to be appointed to handle the financial affairs of your grandfather. For that, a lawyer would be wise.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . All states have abuse of elderly laws and agencies to deal with elders being abused or stolen from.
    It should be reported.

4. Rachele R Selvig

1

Answered . I would strongly consider also contacting Adult Protective Services in your area. They will investigate and possibly refer the matter to law enforcement. Oregon has criminal and civil remedies for elder abuse.