What can I expect with the charges; (1)tbut or disp shoplifting(2)poss cont sub, 3rd degree(3)prescription cont subnotpropcontai

Asked over 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

I was shopping in meijers with my sis in law and she wanted to steal some things but didn't bring her purse so we put them in mine. After being caught the total was about $97 and I have no prior record of any kind. When the cop got there to search my stuff he found 10 neurontins that I had along with 3 lortabs that I am prescribed and also some more lortabs that I had gotten from somewhere else but it wasn't many. I also had 3 pills called vyvance which are like aderol that someone had given me to try . I am not addicted to narcotics I had a wreck December 20, 2012 and now have bulging discs in my neck and stay in pain most of the time. I just started getting my lortabs in Jan from my dr where I do my therapy 3 times a week. The neurontins I had from my wreck. I just don't want jail time

1. Martin Pohl

2

Answered . You should contact a criminal defense attorney. As a first time offender, you will get more leniency and receive a more favorable deal but you should have a criminal defense attorney representing you to get the best possible deal.

2. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . Hire a criminal defense attorney in Louisville ASAP to represent you. First time offenders are usually probated absent some unusual facts. Get counsel.

3. Kristin M. Russell

Pro

2

Answered . While I thoroughly agree with the other attorneys who answered, here are the potential penalties (worst case scenario):

TBUT / shoplifting: Class A misdemeanor punishable with up to 1 year in jail, a $500 fine or both.

Possession of a controlled substance 3rd degree: Class A misdemeanor punishable with up to 1 year in jail, a $500 fine, or both.

Prescription not in proper container: Class B misdemeanor punishable with up to 90 days in jail, a $250 fine, or both.

Consecutive misdemeanor sentences cannot exceed one year. KRS 532.110(1)(b).

You should hire an attorney.