What can I expect with the charges; (1)tbut or disp shoplifting(2)poss cont sub, 3rd degree(3)prescription cont subnotpropcontai

Louisville, KY |

I was shopping in meijers with my sis in law and she wanted to steal some things but didn't bring her purse so we put them in mine. After being caught the total was about $97 and I have no prior record of any kind. When the cop got there to search my stuff he found 10 neurontins that I had along with 3 lortabs that I am prescribed and also some more lortabs that I had gotten from somewhere else but it wasn't many. I also had 3 pills called vyvance which are like aderol that someone had given me to try . I am not addicted to narcotics I had a wreck December 20, 2012 and now have bulging discs in my neck and stay in pain most of the time. I just started getting my lortabs in Jan from my dr where I do my therapy 3 times a week. The neurontins I had from my wreck. I just don't want jail time

1. You should contact a criminal defense attorney. As a first time offender, you will get more leniency and receive a more favorable deal but you should have a criminal defense attorney representing you to get the best possible deal.

2. Hire a criminal defense attorney in Louisville ASAP to represent you. First time offenders are usually probated absent some unusual facts. Get counsel.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

3. While I thoroughly agree with the other attorneys who answered, here are the potential penalties (worst case scenario):

TBUT / shoplifting: Class A misdemeanor punishable with up to 1 year in jail, a $500 fine or both.

Possession of a controlled substance 3rd degree: Class A misdemeanor punishable with up to 1 year in jail, a $500 fine, or both.

Prescription not in proper container: Class B misdemeanor punishable with up to 90 days in jail, a $250 fine, or both.

Consecutive misdemeanor sentences cannot exceed one year. KRS 532.110(1)(b).

You should hire an attorney.

Kristin M. Russell is an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Per Avvo guidelines, these answers are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. This response does not create an attorney/client relationship.