Skip to main content

What can I expect with a first time felony for property theft with no prior background or offenses?

Kyle, TX |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I understand the first hearing nothing will really happen. I just want to know what to expect since I'm five months pregnant.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. You sound like a good candidate for deferred probation. Of course I'm saying this without knowing the facts of your case. Or you could get a conviction or a reduction or a dismissal. It will depend on several factors,including the facts, the DA assigned, who your judge is, and most importantly, the work of your defense attorney.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

  2. You can bargain for deferred adjudication where you'll serve a term like probation but your case will be closed without a finding of guilt/conviction if you successfully complete all the terms. With theft cases, you always have the option of strategizing to set it for trial and hope the victim or officer doesn't show.

  3. While every case is different, felony thefts that are first offenses and do not involve a large amount of property are something for which most prosecutors I know would at least consider a deferred probation. However, under some circumstances, e.g., theft from charities and embezzling, I have found prosecutors to be a bit more harsh. Anyone charged in this sort of situation should get a reputable criminal defense lawyer on board ASAP.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

  4. You need to consult with and retain an attorney immediately. A good and experienced attorney will ask lots of questions in order to get a better understanding of the case and the legal issues. The options range anywhere from dismissal, to trial and acquittal / conviction, to probation, to deferred adjudication. Many attorneys in your area, like myself, offer a free consultation.

    Todd Steele's response to your question is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this response should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

  5. I have been practicing in Hays County for most of the 20 years I've been handling cases. In my experience with the DA and her first assistant (from when they were misdemeanor prosecutors in Travis County) I think you have a good shot at deferred adjudication for a first time felony.
    Hays County Theft Lawyer

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

  6. It depends on the options in your jurisdiction, I would assume based on what you have stated that you are strong candidate for deferred. However, your DA may also allow what his called pre-trial diversions which would allow you to be on an off the books probation. You should consult an attorney to see if this is an option with your local DA.

    Sean Whittmore's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Whittmore offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call his office at 936-647-1086 to make an appointment or visit our website at for further information about our areas of practice.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics