What can I expect the consequences to be for battery against a noncohabitating spouse?

Los Olivos, CA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

No injuries or marks were sustained. The cops told her that i was arrested because I was intoxicated. She also had a recording of the verbal abuse and her telling me that I was hurting her when being pulled by her ankles off the couch. I have no prior record with violence or domestic disputes. If I enroll and complete a rehab and anger-management program while the case is proceeding will it help to greatly lessen my consequences

You're going to need a lawyer - plain & simple.

Would an anger management series help? Quite possibly, but I wouldn't do anything without consulting with your lawyer. If you're convicted, there will be mandatory court-ordered counseling.

In the mean time, do NOT make any further statements about this without speaking to your lawyer. Things could get ugly in a domestic violence allegation, so you need the help of a good lawyer.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

Cohabitating or not is not relevant here. The relationship "spouse" is. You should retain counsel.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.