What can I expect from this reckless driving charge?

Asked over 2 years ago - Virginia Beach, VA

I was given a summons for reckless driving generally and improper u-turn in Norfolk,VA. The light was red for at least 7 minutes, because it hadn''t changed by the time I pulled out of Taco Bell. I decided to turn my signal on and turn right, since there was no line distinguishing the two lanes. As I did so, a car with two girls sped up to the light. I turned after they turned and then got into the left lane to make a u-turn. I signaled to turn into the left lane. There was no sign saying no u-turns were allowed, but yet the officer said I made an improper u-turn. I saw that the punishment for this charge can be up to $2,500 with jailtime and/or a suspended license. What should I do do? Would enrolling in a drivers improvement class before the court date lower the charge?

1. Luke Joseph Nichols

2

Answered . You should consult with a local reckless driving attorney immediately. Each jurisdiction has its own way of handling common charges like reckless driving. Depending on that jurisdictions programs and customs you made need to take a specific driving improvement class at a specific time. To learn more about the different driving classes that are available and to learn more about Virginia traffic court go to http://virginiatrafficcourt.com.

Luke J Nichols
    Nichols & Green
    (703) 383-9222
    wwwnicholsgreen,com
    lnichols@nicholsgreen.com

2. Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Pro

Answered . As you have learned, Reckless Driving is a Class 1 Misdemeanor and a serious offense. You should definitely consult an attorney. Additionally, taking a driving course will not hurt the outcome. If you need assistance please call me at 7575540258.

3. Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Pro

Answered . I agree with Mr. Nichols and I am a local attorney who can help.
    Please call me for assistance.

STEPHEN P. PFEIFFER, ESQ.

W O L C O T T R I V E R S G A T E S
    Attorneys at Law
    Convergence Center IV
    301 Bendix Road, Suite 500
    Virginia Beach, VA 23452
    Telephone (757) 554-0258
    Fax (757) 497-7267
    www.wolcottriversgates.com

4. John Gerth Merna

Pro

Answered . You need to get assistance. The effect of a reckless driving charge on your record even if the maximum penalty is not given can be significant. Contact a local attorney to assist you. Avoiding the negative effect on your insurance premiums will warrant the investment.

John G. Merna, Esq.
    The Merna Law Group.
    3615 Virginia Beach Blvd.
    Virginia Beach, VA 23452
    757-340-4070