What can I expect from my first meeting with my probation officer tomorrow morning?

River Vale, NJ |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I was arrested in NJ for possession of marijuana under 50 grams and was granted conditional discharge. I have been clean since my probation has started about two and a half months ago, but am a little nervous that I used to be a heavy smoker and may fail the original drug test. Will I be tested tomorrow? What happens if I fail?

1. You should expect a drug test for all meetings with your probation officer.

2. A CD probation is usually rather lax. You may be tested on the first appearance or later. Usually the random test is later but it is up to the officer. If you comply with requests you may not have to report regularly.

3. You should always expect to get tested when going to probation in New Jersey. If you fail the drug test, the probation department could violate you from the program and your case will be send back to the municipal court and your case will begin anew. If you fail and the probation department violates your conditional discharge you should contact an attorney to fight the case. www.mateylaw.com

I am not your attorney, I do not represent you. This response is submitted for informational purposes only. This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be taken as such. Anyone considering the above referenced situation should always consult an attorney within the jurisdiction before taking any action based on this, or any other information.