Professional legal advice for $39.

Avvo Advisor
Talk to a lawyer

What can I expect for probation following my DUI?

It's just my first offense, so I don't think it will be very long, but maybe they're all the same. .

Canton, OH -

Attorney Answers (3)

Jeffrey Charles Meadows

Jeffrey Charles Meadows

DUI / DWI Attorney - West Chester, OH

The law permits up to three years, however every court (judge) is different. Many of the judges I practice in front of order 2 yrs. of non-reporting probation, which just means that if you get another alcohol related offense, any jail time that was suspended can be imposed.

Other courts do 6 months - 2 yrs of reporting probation. Of those that order reporting probation, you can always filed a motion after your fines/court costs are paid and you have completed any other requirements such as the driver intervention program, and ask the judge to terminate probation early.

Bottom line, you need to hire someone who is familiar with the court you will be in and ask them. Of course I highly recommend hiring an aggressive OVI attorney because if you are not convicted, there won't be any probation.

Todd Bruce Kotler

Todd Bruce Kotler

DUI / DWI Attorney - North Canton, OH

I agree with the other attorneys who have already answered. Please note that Jeff Meadows is among the foremost DUI attorneys in this State and has a nationwide reputation.

Meanwhile, as others here wrote, it depends on many factors and you really need an attoreny to review everything in the "official" file and everything that actually happened from the moment the arresting officer flashed his lights to the present.

The consequenses of pleading to a DUI go far beyond the sentence imposed by the court. You become a marked person for the next 20 years subject to enhanced penalities for any subsequent offense. The record of this conviction can impact job prospects and custody disputes as well. As costly as aggressive DUI attorneys are, the cost of winging this and getting it wrong are beyond severe.

Good luck.

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be... more
Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Criminal Defense Attorney - Stockton, CA

Ask your attorney. If you do not have one, hire one as DUIs can be devastating. loss of license, driving priviledges, increased insurance, program fees.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.