What can I do with my minor child's settlement money?

Asked over 1 year ago - Springfield, MO

My 15-year-old was given an $1,800 settlement for an accident she was in here in Missouri. The check was made out to me. I've deposited it into a savings account with her name on it also. I assumed it could be used for her extra expenses such as cheer-leading costs, etc. She is in agreement with this. Is that allowed? I was never told weather there are "rules" for this or not.

1. Melvin G. Franke

5

Answered . You are suppose to go through the court. You are lucky to avoid that. Just amke sire that you spend the money on her.

Pro

6

Answered . Do the right thing and save it for her, and let the interest compound. You wouldn't want anyone spending your money now would you?

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Pro

5

1

Answered . If you had an attorney, he/she should have told you what rules may apply in the State of Missouri. However, if there were no restrictions placed on the account by a court supervising the settlement, then it would seem the money belongs to your daughter and she can use it with your approval as you deem necessary.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . That depends on whether there are court orders on how to deal with the money. If there are orders, you must comply. If not, it seems to me that you can use the dollars in your daughter's best interests. Make sure you account for the dollars. Of course, if you had an attorney at the time you settled your daughter's case, you need to speak to that attorney about how to handle things.

Good luck!

Dan