What can I do with my employer?

Asked over 1 year ago - 11412

My employer suspended me pending termination for being away at my religious observance that he agreed to and I have a document from my place of worship as he asked me to , I didn't get any document from him but he verbally agreed to it and now he suspended me but he told me I'm being fired and he hasn't have me any document an wont release a document to me because he's depriving me for unemployment and trying to make it look like I abandoned my job, what can I do?!
P.s. HR is working with him against me as well.

1. Denise Kingue-Bonnaig

Best Answer

Answered . It’s crucial that you schedule a consult with an experienced employment lawyer right away. Based on the information that you provide to the attorney such as whether this is the first time you’ve ever made a request to attend a religious function, whether other employees of other faiths are able to attend religious functions without incident, the borough you worked in, and the number of employees the company has, the attorney will advise you what laws apply to your particular situation, and whether it makes sense to file a lawsuit ASAP, or file a charge with an administrative agency.

The time to get legal advice is BEFORE the unemployment hearing. If you don’t, then your interests at the unemployment hearing may be compromised and negatively affect your potential discrimination claims.

-Denise K. Bonnaig
    212-374-1511

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

1

Answered . Speak with an employment lawyer in your area to see if you have any legal recourse.

3. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

1

1

Answered . Not sure where you are located, but, you should file a charge with the EEOC, as well as any State or Local entities with jurisdiction. Make sure you hire an attorney with experience in discrimination claims. Best of luck.

4. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

Answered . As for unemployment, they will assume that a worker will not leave a job for no reason. As for discrimination, you can contact the NYS Division of Human Rights. It may be helpful if you have a consultation with an employment lawyer first. The lawyer can explain your rights to you.