What can I do when towing company sold my car without any notification

Orange, CA |

so my car was in a accident and the police needed to investiage (the accident was not my fault, and it was proven that it wasnt) but when the investagaotr said they would only need it for one month. But after 4 months has been passed, we didin't get any letter or phone calls or anything like that. The towing company is telling the police that they sent mulitple letters and phone calls which is lie, because we didint recive any letters or phone calls. They claim that they sent "Certifed Mail" and they have the recipt but i didin't get any letter and if they were to really sent a "Certifed mail" wouldnt that mail need signature proving that the reciever, recived it?

1. Yes a certified letter would need to have a signature for delivery. Have you retained an attorney for this incident? If not, you should immediately consult with a personal injury attorney. There is a good likelihood that you can recover from the negligent driver the value of the vehicle. You may also have a claim against the tow company for wrongfully selling your car on a lien. I recommend that you do not delay in discussing this with an attorney. You can use Avvo to find attorneys in your area. Best of luck

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2. Sounds like the insurance company owes you for the damage or loss to your car, as well as some contribution for residual from the towing company, and you would want to retain a local car accident lawyer for representation.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

3. You can ask the tow company to show you, or give you a copy of the supposed signed receipt. Also, if you have any physical injuries you can file a claim for that in addition to your property damage claim. I agree you should consult with an attorney. Good luck!

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.