What can I do when debt that doesn't belong to me goes into my credit report?

Asked over 1 year ago - Canada, KY

Hi! My name is Kai Sing, Wong but recently I've been receiving calls and letters from a debt collecting agent called "CCL financial". The problem is that I am not the guy called "Ka Wong" they are looking but they insist that I owed the HBC a thousand and something and the debt is now sold to that CCL financial. I don't know why this amount goes on me but I really want to know how I can get rid of that. I checked with the HBC and they confirmed with me that I didn't owe them that amount (on phone). I checked my credit report but the debt is on my account. What should I do next? (as they say this will go to court!)

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Under US laws, you have the right to dispute any incorrect information on your credit report. You are required to do so either in writing on on the credit bureaus website. BTW, please do not put your name on your post when asking a question, as it is in your best interest for your question to be private. Hope this perspective helps!

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,041 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,041 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering