What can I do to renew my I-20 that got cancelled without leaving the U.S.

Asked about 6 years ago - Denver, CO

HELLO GUYS,
I'M GOING THOROUGH A HUGE CRISIS
THE UNIVERSITY I ATTEND CANCELLED MY I-20
THE REASON IS BECAUSE I AM AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AND MY MINIMUM OF CREDIT HOURS HRS IS 12
HOWEVER, I NEVER TOOK LESS HRS BUT IN ONE OF THE SEMESTERS I TOOK 9HRS IN MY UNIVERSITY AND 3 IN A COMMUNITY COLLEGE
STUDENTS ALWAYS DO T , IT'S ILLEGIBLE
ANYWAY THE NEW EMPLOYEE WAS UNAWARE OF THAT AND NEEDED MY TRANSCRIPT AS PROOF
I WASN'T ABLE DO THAT BECAUSE I WASN'T AWARE OF THE E-MAILS SHE WAS SENDING ME
BY COINCIDENCE I WENT TO HER OFFICE AND FOUND OUT THAT SHE HAS JUST CANCELLED MY I-20
I BROUGHT HER MY TRANSCRIPT BUT IT WAS TOO LATE
MY QUESTION IS:

IS THIS REVERSABLE?
HOW CAN I GET MY I-20 BACK WITHOUT LEAVING THE COUNTRY?
PLS HELP

1. Robert Philip Webber

1

7

Answered . You should discuss with your school the possibility of reinstatement. The F-1 regulations do allow for it.

8 CFR 214.2(f)(16):

(16) Reinstatement to student status .-- (Revised effective 1/1/03; 67 FR 76256 )(Amended 6/3/95; 60 FR 21973 )

(i) General . The district director may consider reinstating a student who makes a request for reinstatement on Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, accompanied by a properly completed SEVIS Form I-20 indicating the DSO's recommendation for reinstatement (or a properly completed Form I-20A-B issued prior to January 30, 2003, from the school the student is attending or intends to attend prior to August 1, 2003). The district director may consider granting the request if the student:

(A) Has not been out of status for more than 5 months at the time of filing the request for reinstatement (or demonstrates that the failure to file within the 5 month period was the result of exceptional circumstances and that the student filed the request for reinstatement as promptly as possible under these exceptional circumstances);

(B) Does not have a record of repeated or willful violations of Service regulations;

(C) Is currently pursuing, or intending to pursue, a full course of study in the immediate future at the school which issued the Form I-20;

(D) Has not engaged in unauthorized employment;

(E) Is not deportable on any ground other than section 237(a)(1)(B) or (C)(i) of the Act; and

(F) Establishes to the satisfaction of the Service, by a detailed showing, either that:

(1) The violation of status resulted from circumstances beyond the student's control. Such circumstances might include serious injury or illness, closure of the institution, a natural disaster, or inadvertence, oversight, or neglect on the part of the DSO, but do not include instances where a pattern of repeated violations or where a willful failure on the part of the student resulted in the need for reinstatement; or

(2) The violation re lates to a reduction in the student's course load that would have been within a DSO's power to authorize, and that failure to approve reinstatement would result in extreme hardship to the student.