What can I do to rcv a certified copy of the divorce order if the courts are saying the order was presented, but not entered?

Suffolk, VA |
Filed under: Divorce

An Attorney represented me in a divorce proceedings on July 19, 2002 in the Virginia Beach Circuit Court. On this date there was a hearing for entry of Final Divorce Decree. My son attained the age of 18 & I called Virginia Beach JDR Court to inquire on the proceedings of filing a motion to terminate court ordered child support. I was told that they did not have a record of my order being remanded to their court. I was instructed to obtain a certified order from Virginia Beach Circuit Court. I went to Virginia Beach Circuit Court & was instructed by a clerk that the order was presented on July 19, 2002, but was not entered by the presiding Judge. This Atty was paid in full for svcs. I can't locate this attorney, address & # is invalid or he is not responding to my efforts to contact him.

If the Order was never entered then there is no Order. If it was "presented", but not "entered" and it is in Virginia Beach where Orders are routinely rejected for various perceived problems, it is likely that there was some issue with the Order that needed to be corrected before the judge would enter it. You can go to the Clerk's Office and review the file. A phone call will not tell you much.

This answer is for general information purposes, is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Check with the state bar. They should have current address and phone number.

This reply is provided for information purposes only and does not represent legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.

I already have and the address that is provided I have left correspondence and he has not responded. The telephone number is not valid.

This means the order was not entered.

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Divorce