What can I do to pass a basic background?

Asked over 3 years ago - Redding, CA

My charge date is 10/26/2006. My expungement date is 4/16/2011. The type of charge I got can not be dropped to misdemeanor. I can't start school until a felony does not show up on a basic backgroud check. I don't know what else I can possible do? What does it mean to seal my record? I don't understand what good a expungement does if it doesn't really help me? Please help me? I feel as though I should just give up. Thank you so much for your time.

1. Robert Marshall Sanger

2

Answered . Well -- I think you better take your paperwork into the lawyer who represented you on the case or consult with a new lawyer if the first is not available. I don't think you should give up but just be smart about it and get good advice.

If you pled to a straight felony, it probably cannot be reduced. I would expect that your lawyer talked to you about all your options and the consequences of the plea at the time. if not, you might have a remedy now (not likely, but worth exploring with a lawyer).

Expungement is not expungement in California. It is a petiton for Relief under Penal Code Section 1203.4. Here is a Guide: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/guide-to-1...

Sit down with a good criminal defense lawyer, even if it is just for a consultation (many lawyers will do that for free) and let the lawyer know what you want to accomplish. It is often possible to find a way to help if we know all the facts and you have a worthy goal like trying to go to school! Good luck!