What can I do to obtain legal status, I came to US legally 8 y ago ,have no family or relatives here, but I am" out of status"?

Tualatin, OR |

I'm a young foreign national woman(european). I came to US legally 8 y ago on a work visa, paid taxes,have no family or realtives here,no criminal record and I'm "out of status" now..I intend to built a family here someday and bring my best contribution to this country.How can I obtain legal status,what is your advice, please?

Based upon the information provided, you do not appear to be eligible legal status at this time. If your circumstances change or immigration reform is enacted, you may become eligible in the future.

There are two main ways to obtain permanent status: work or family. Being out of status would close work avenues to you and you don't indicate whether you have any family through whom you can obtain benefits. There are less common avenues for victims of crimes, those with fear of persecution in their home country, etc., but it's not apparent from your facts whether this would apply to you.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

I agree with my colleagues. Either wait for reform or find true love.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

I, too, agree.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

From the facts you describe, you would be eligible to legalize if you fall in love and get married and he is a US citizen or if the immigration reform ever passes

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Assuming building your family means marrying (as the laws stand today it would have to be a marriage to a man, but who knows what reform may bring?), and your spouse is a US citizen, you could apply for residence through that avenue. Otherwise, until your circumstances change, or the laws change, there does not seem to be any path for you yet. Stay abreast of the news. Good luck to you.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104