What can I do to obtain legal status, I came to US legally 8 y ago ,have no family or relatives here, but I am" out of status"?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tualatin, OR

I'm a young foreign national woman(european). I came to US legally 8 y ago on a work visa, paid taxes,have no family or realtives here,no criminal record and I'm "out of status" now..I intend to built a family here someday and bring my best contribution to this country.How can I obtain legal status,what is your advice, please?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . Based upon the information provided, you do not appear to be eligible legal status at this time. If your circumstances change or immigration reform is enacted, you may become eligible in the future.

2. Veronica Tunitsky

5

Answered . There are two main ways to obtain permanent status: work or family. Being out of status would close work avenues to you and you don't indicate whether you have any family through whom you can obtain benefits. There are less common avenues for victims of crimes, those with fear of persecution in their home country, etc., but it's not apparent from your facts whether this would apply to you.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Either wait for reform or find true love.

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . I, too, agree.

5. Irene Vaisman

2

Answered . From the facts you describe, you would be eligible to legalize if you fall in love and get married and he is a US citizen or if the immigration reform ever passes

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  6. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

1

Answered . Assuming building your family means marrying (as the laws stand today it would have to be a marriage to a man, but who knows what reform may bring?), and your spouse is a US citizen, you could apply for residence through that avenue. Otherwise, until your circumstances change, or the laws change, there does not seem to be any path for you yet. Stay abreast of the news. Good luck to you.