Skip to main content

What can I do to keep my name from being in the newspaper blotter after my court date?

Gillette, WY |

I received a court date ticket after shoplifting from Walmart. The amount was less than $40. I go to court in a couple days and I'll do anything to just keep my name out of the newspaper. It will ruin my reputation and I'm extremely embarrassed about it. Please help!

Attorney Answers 3


This is something you should have considered before you went to Walmart.

Stop posting confessions on the Internet!

Realistically, there is nothing you can do. If you ask to keep it out of the newspaper, you will draw your case to their attention.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree




It cannot be used against me by asking because this site is anonymous correct ?

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.


While I don't know your name, I believe if police or prosecutors wanted to find out who posted this they probably could do so.


Nothing. Sorry. It is a matter of public record. Any attempts to convince the paper not to write about it in the local police blotter might result in it being reported on front page.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Nothing. It is public record.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics