What can I do to get my husband mental help or committed or out of our home.

Asked over 4 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

He is 56 years old. We have been married for 20 years. He is bipolar and verbally abusive to me and my 20 year old daughter. What can I do legally to make him get help, have him committed or get him removed from our home.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Forest Dean Morgan

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If he is a danger to himself of others or unable to care for himself, he may be involuntarily committed for a period of 72 hours pending a full psychological evaluation. However, it is not as easy as simply dropping him off and having him committed. He must meet certain standards before such a commitment can occur.

    If he is not physically abusive to you and and your daughter, it is unlikely that he will meet this standard. Thus, your only option may be to move away from him rather than trying to find a way for him to move away from you.

  2. Ronald Glenn Lieberman


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You could seek the entry of an order for protection if you are in fear for your safety or well being.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,792 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,792 answers this week

3,254 attorneys answering