What can I do to get my child's father to get our child one Friday every month from 8:00 p.m. until 12:30 p.m. Saturday?

Asked 9 months ago - Charlotte, NC

I have tried to get my child's dad to agree verbally without going to court. MY child's dad tells me things like my wife doesn't want our son at our house or if I bring my son to my house my wife is going to put me out and I will be homeless.

1. Kenneth Love Jr.

1

Answered . Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to force him to take the child at any point. Even if you go to Court, the Court and order a custody order based on what you agree to or what the Court feels is in the child's best interests but if the father doesn't want visitation, the Court will not force it upon him. You should consult with a family law attorney for some creative options.

2. Sarah Carr D'Amato

Answered . One way that works to get some absent parents interested in more time is filing for child support. If he's not paying child support already, it might be time to go to court for that. Once he's paying child support, he might be more inclined to see his child more often. Of course, this can sometimes backfire and then all of a sudden, he's requesting joint or even full custody to lower child support obligations. Otherwise, I agree with the other attorney who say that there's not much you can do to force a parent to be involved in their child's life. Good luck!

3. Kevin H. Pate

1

Answered . The legal system can accomplish many things. Sadly, growing a heart and a spine in the child's father is well beyond the ability of the court system.