Skip to main content

What can I do to get my child's father to get our child one Friday every month from 8:00 p.m. until 12:30 p.m. Saturday?

Charlotte, NC |

I have tried to get my child's dad to agree verbally without going to court. MY child's dad tells me things like my wife doesn't want our son at our house or if I bring my son to my house my wife is going to put me out and I will be homeless.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to force him to take the child at any point. Even if you go to Court, the Court and order a custody order based on what you agree to or what the Court feels is in the child's best interests but if the father doesn't want visitation, the Court will not force it upon him. You should consult with a family law attorney for some creative options.


The legal system can accomplish many things. Sadly, growing a heart and a spine in the child's father is well beyond the ability of the court system.


One way that works to get some absent parents interested in more time is filing for child support. If he's not paying child support already, it might be time to go to court for that. Once he's paying child support, he might be more inclined to see his child more often. Of course, this can sometimes backfire and then all of a sudden, he's requesting joint or even full custody to lower child support obligations. Otherwise, I agree with the other attorney who say that there's not much you can do to force a parent to be involved in their child's life. Good luck!

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer