What can i do to force mediation to speed up this court process?

Savannah, GA |

My ex husband is not court ordered for mediation, but i was told in the state of Georgia you are required mediation before you can go to trial.

1. Some counties require mediation and some do not. You will need to check with the court administrator or the judge who your case has been assigned to concerning the issue of mediation. If you do not have an attorney, you may seriously consider hiring one so any necessary motions concerning mediation.

This information is of a general nature and is not intended to be relied upon as legal advise. You are encouraged to contact and discuss your matter with an experienced attorney to more specifically address your legal needs.

2. Some counties require it. Some don't. Mediation can be invaluable in a divorce. Discuss it with your lawyer and if you do not have one, get one.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

3. I agree that you should get an attorney if you don't have one. While many couples divorce without lawyers, that results in them dividing a marital estate without legal expertise and it may only work where everything is cooperative and agreeable. Your comment about your ex and the need to speed up the process tells me that this is not one of those very easy, totally cooperative divorce actions.

Child custody topics