What can i do to force mediation to speed up this court process?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Savannah, GA

My ex husband is not court ordered for mediation, but i was told in the state of Georgia you are required mediation before you can go to trial.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Some counties require mediation and some do not. You will need to check with the court administrator or the judge who your case has been assigned to concerning the issue of mediation. If you do not have an attorney, you may seriously consider hiring one so any necessary motions concerning mediation.

    This information is of a general nature and is not intended to be relied upon as legal advise. You are encouraged... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Some counties require it. Some don't. Mediation can be invaluable in a divorce. Discuss it with your lawyer and if you do not have one, get one.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree that you should get an attorney if you don't have one. While many couples divorce without lawyers, that results in them dividing a marital estate without legal expertise and it may only work where everything is cooperative and agreeable. Your comment about your ex and the need to speed up the process tells me that this is not one of those very easy, totally cooperative divorce actions.

Related Topics

Custody mediation

The purpose of custody mediation is to help both parties find agreement on their child custody issues in a voluntary and confidential manner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,988 answers this week

3,593 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,988 answers this week

3,593 attorneys answering