Skip to main content

What can I do to fix this

Lufkin, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

My wife where just married in june.We just found out her divorce from her previous marriage was never finalized so now what

Attorney Answers 3

  1. YOu need to finalize the previous marriage divorce

  2. Your wife must finalize her divorce without delay. This is a major priority because its illegal to be married to two people at the same time. However, it appears this was a mistake rather than an intentional act. Your are her putative spouse even though she was married at the time of your ceremony. You can annual your marriage on the ground of mistake. After she is legally divorced, you can marry her. (AGAIN)

    Any answer or response to your question I may provide does not establish or constitute an attorney-client relationship and is for general informational purposes only.

  3. Have her finalize the first case. You married in good faith so I'm thinking there's no criminal ramifications here. Push comes to shove you can always annul your marriage. Talk to an attorney that does domestic relations work in your area.

    Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics