Skip to main content

What can I do to contact My lawyer that represented me in a I.N.S. case from 2001 and didn't represent my case properly ,In whic

Aurora, IL |

I was detained in C.S.C.Frio Detention Center Pearsall Texas 2001 for attempted Illigal entry. I had a Public Defender on behalf of my case And just could'nt Defend me properly So my family Helped me with a private I.N.S. Lawyer Mr.Ernesto Maldonado that asked for a fee of $3,000 Dollars to represent me from Dallas Texas He than only visited me once and left me to be sentenced to 5 years on my own in court. I'm sure there is a file on behalf of my case in Pearsall Texas. I was released in 2005 and would like to know if i can get a work permitt to enter USA and use my Social Security I was a permenent resident in USA for over 30 years and have a college Industrial plant Maint. course that I took in Southeastern Illinois College that I would like to take advantage and get a job in USA thanks

Attorney Answers 3


This is posted in medical malpractice.

This is NOT a medical malpractice question.

I am sorry for any troubles you may have had but it appears that IF you think your lawyer did something wrong, it would be, if anything, a LEGAL malpractice case.

I suggest you contact a lawyer who is familiar with immigration matters as a starting point. He or she may be able to determine if something the prior lawyer did was incorrect.

Keep in mind there are limitation periods on when certain actions must be filed, and I am not at all familiar with the rules pertaining to immigration practice.

Again, while I am sorry I cannot help you, I think contacting a lawyer who handles immigration law is a start. That may determine whether you have a legal malpractice case against this prior lawyer or any other options.

Good luck.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


I have changed the category to immigration. Perhaps the immigration lawyers will be able to assist but the asker sure waited a long time to seek new answers.


It is a little difficult to understand your question/facts.

First you talk about a Public Defender on your criminal case ... then you talk about an immigration attorney ... who I assume helped with your immigration court case and not your criminal court case.

You should do 3 things:

1. Get a copy of your entire criminal file
2. Get a copy of your immigration file (this can be done with a FOIA, G-639)
3. Meet with an immigration attorney.

Franco Capriotti
Capriotti International Law

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. You need a legal malpractice attorney who is familiar with immigration issues

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics