Skip to main content

What can I do my ex refuses to sign me a consent so I can take my kids to live in another state

Chicago, IL |

We have lived together for the past 8yrs nd never been married I recently found out he has another son with one of hes lovers nd I been getting blocked calls nd I kno for a fact is one of his girls nd ahe has come to were I live and with a key she scratches my truck I really dont have prof of all this activity but he hasnt denied when I ask him about it. Due to this I really want to move out of state but with out a problem. I really need to be away from him

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In order to move out of state, you need to have a court hearing and win. Hire a lawyer. Go to hearing. A better approach might be to move far away but still within the state, You do not need court permission to do that, although visitation might change,.


You have not identified whether your ex means you were married and divorce or never married. Either way if your ex is the legal parent of your children then you will have to get his agreement to leave the state with the children or the permission of the court by court order.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz


I just noticed you have never been married.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz


Has he signed Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity forms for each child? Have you gotten child support or has he established paternity in court? Go consult a local family law attorney. If you want to leave soon you better get this going in court very soon. You will need to file a petition for removal.



I've never gotten child support for my kids nd when my son was born he neved sign any forms but in the birth certificate his name is there as father of my son thanks for the help nd orientation

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer