Skip to main content

What can i do in this situation?

Dallas, TX |

my ex and i are seperated and went through the court but then it went dismiss because the decree papers was missing, he put the house on craiglist looking a roomate and both of our names is on the house, does he have right to do that even though we are seperated but still we are married since it end up being dismissed

Attorney Answers 3


If it has been less than 30 days since it was dismissed, hire a lawyer to get it reinstated and finalized. If it has been longer, you should still get an attorney to file the petition, get some ground rules in place, and get your divorce completed.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Your best option is to contact an attorney. Contact attorney Langford as she is familiar with Texas law.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


So, even though the divorce was dismissed, and you are simply living separated at this point, it sounds as though you still have some interest in the house that you are trying to protect. I agree with Attorney Langford that if you want to get the divorce taken care of, get in with a good family law attorney as soon as possible. But, if your only concern right now is the house, you may not really be able to stop your spouse from renting out a portion of the house because he is a co-tenant and has an undivided 1/2 interest (presumably) in the home and has some say. But, you still have rights as to the house, since it is also your property. You would have an interest in the rent collected and you could even force a partition of the home or negotiate a buy out where he pays you for your interest in the home. My only point is you can accomplish both the divorce and settling issues with the house with a single family law attorney, but if you are fine with being separated at the moment and don't want to pursue the divorce again, you can still contact an attorney to get some resolution on your real estate matter. Best of Luck to you.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment



thank you for your help, iam seeking an attorney

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics