WHAT CAN I DO IN FLORIDA TO STOP MY SON LICENSE FROM BEING HIBITUAL AND SUSPENDED FOR FIVE YEARS.

Fort Myers, FL |

mY SON HAD 3 DRIVING ON A SUSPENDED. THE LAST ONE WAS FOR A COURT FEE THAT HE DID NOT PAY WITH IN 30 DAYS HE DID NOT KNOW HIS LIC GOT SUSPENDED. HE ENTERED INTO PAYMENT PLAN AND GOT IT REINSTATED. WE NOW RECEIVED A NOTICE THAT HE WILL LOSS LIC FOR 5 YEARS FOR HIBITUAL DRIVING ON A SUSPENDED

Your son is getting a five-year revocation for being convicted three times of driving while license suspended within five years. That is the reason he is getting that revocation. If he is caught driving again, he will be treated as a felon. He will be subject to five years in state prison. He should not drive until the issue is resolved.

If he would've had an attorney, this could've been avoided. Now my advice to you is go visit an attorney to see if any of the three pleas can be vacated. Everything will be more expensive now because things have to be undone. My advice is to go seek the assistance of an attorney immediately.

If this answer helped you, please be so kind as to mark it "helpful" or "best answer". This would be greatly appreciated. Remember, this is not legal advice from Criminal Defense Lawyer Albert Quirantes, or the Ticket Law Center in Miami, Florida and there is no attorney client privilege created in this communication. Don't squeal on yourself by making admissions on this public website. Only ask theoretical questions of a general nature for your own protection.

I concur with the assessment of my colleague. There are limited avenues of success at this point for your son but the smart move remains to take copies of all documents you have for all the cases involved and seek out an attorney immediately. Good luck.

What can you do? Hire private counsel for him.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Your son may actually be able to have an attorney file a motion to have one his DWLS charges vacated and amended to get him of HTO status. You should hire a traffic attorney who goes to court on a regular basis in the county where your son received the tickets to attempt have one or more of his charges vacated. Good luck.

The best thing you can do is hire an attorney to remove a prior "conviction" from your son's record and provided that only has three convictions, this amended disposition should lift the five year habitual traffic offender revocation. Not all attorneys know how to do this and a lack of familiarity with this removal process could result in substantial delays (in removing the revocation) or the Court denying the attorney's request to remove the conviction (and your son's license would remain revoked). An experienced and efficient traffic lawyer should be able to remove the HTO revocation for a very competitive fee.

Avvo.com answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a competent attorney in your local jurisdiction.

David P. Gilbert

David P. Gilbert

Also, you must be aware that once the conviction is lifted, you must also take steps to remove the "FR HTO" entry on the driving history before reinstatement is possible (sans FR44).

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets