What can I do if termination from employment involves personal retaliation and targeting from management?

Asked about 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

The management personally attack me after I proceed to take a false complaint to human resources. The victim had no bad record with the organization until this manager.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Joseph Albin Larson


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It's not totally clear what happened from what you've written. For example, I'm not sure what you mean by a "false complaint." However, the general rule is that an employer can't retaliate against employee that reports a problem or lodges a complaint with his/her supervisor or the HR Department. In this context, retaliation refers to the employer taking an "adverse employment action" against the employee. In other words, the employer fires, demotes, or cuts the employee's pay because of the complaint. If that's the case in this situation, then I suggest you contact an employment attorney as soon as possible to discuss the facts of the case in detail and determine whether or not you should file a claim with the EEOC or Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development.

    On the other hand - and maybe I'm misreading what you've written here - if you have filed a "false complaint" or a fabricated complaint to your employer alleging some kind of misconduct that did not happen, then your employer would likely have grounds to terminate your employment.

    Joe Larson

    This answer is for information only. It does not constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor do... more
  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A fact or two would be helpful

  3. Mishka L Marshall


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There simply aren't enough details to respond to your question. See a local employment attorney. Good luck.

  4. Golnar Sargeant

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is unclear from your question if you are the one terminated or if you're asking about someone else being terminated--it also sounds like you're saying you made a false complaint to HR, so I'm confused. So I will speak in the general: Get a consultation with a local plaintiff employment lawyer. Most give free consultations (check beforehand) so you'd have nothing to lose for an assessment of your case by an expert. You can give that person all the detail for assessment. Aside from this site, your local bar association is also a good referral point. Many such lawyers take the case on contingency if they want to represent you.

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute... more

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,287 answers this week

3,067 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,287 answers this week

3,067 attorneys answering