What Can I do if someone signs my name on a contract without my permission.

Newark, NJ |

Someone signed my name on a contract without my permission

1. If you didn't sign it and you never agreed to it and you never authorized anyone else to agree to it for you, then the general rule is that there is no binding contract at all. But, of course, you may have to prove all of that. Start with telling the other party that you did not sign it and did not authorize anyone else to sign your name to it and see if they will agree to cancel it. If not, then you may end up having to talk to an attorney about it so you can find out if there are any special state laws that you can use to make sure you are not bound by it. Contract Law is a little different in each state. You need to talk to a local attorney who deals with Contract Law issues. Call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Contract Law attorney near you. But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a case in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to an attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please give a thumbs up below. Thanks. Ron Burdge, www.BurdgeLaw.com