What can I do if someone falsely claimed me as a dependant on their taxes?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Calumet City, IL

I went to file my taxes for me an my neice and they didn't say anything till I called the next day an they told me someone already claimed me.. I don't know who did but I lived on my own since january 2011 till current.. what do I do? I need my money

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Michael Larson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Send in a paper return. If you file your own return, this will supercede anybody that claims you as a dependent. They will take it away from the person that claimed you.

    Christopher Larson
    Insight Law

  2. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Send in you own return. Since someone already claimed you, you will not be able to efile and will need to file a paper return. The IRS will take care of the rest.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,422 answers this week

2,330 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,422 answers this week

2,330 attorneys answering