What can I do if my tenant sublet without my consent.

Asked over 1 year ago - Syracuse, NY

my tenant is subletting without my consent and the person who she is subletting to is on public asst. what can i do

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven Warren Smollens

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Dear Syracuse Landlord:

    In the instance of a tenant with a lease subleasing the rented premises without the landlord's permission, the landlord may invoke the lease default notice provision. That often requires serving upon the tenant a Notice to Cure, that allows for an opportunity to correct the default in an obligation of tenancy. Should the tenant not cure, the landlord would follow with a termination of tenancy notice. On the expiration of the period of time for the tenant and subtenant to voluntarily quit and surrender the possession to the landlord, the landlord would commence a summary holdover proceeding in a local court of competent jurisdiction.

    Please retain an attorney.

    Good luck.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should... more
  2. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult with a local landlord tenant lawyer to start a holdover based upon breach of terms of lease.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Month to month tenancy

A month to month lease is a flexible rental arrangement that lasts only a month, but renews automatically each month until the tenant or landlord cancels it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,462 answers this week

3,583 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,462 answers this week

3,583 attorneys answering