What can i do if my previous employer refuses to give me a copy of my employee file?

Asked about 4 years ago - Sunfield, MI

I was fired for an invalid reason on 1/15/10. On 1/18/10 i requested in writing for a copy of emploee file.. I was told 2 weeks later that they would not provide these to me and were not required to.I recieved immediate unemployment because there was nothing to prove any reason for termination. How can i force them to let me see or get a copy of my file?

1. Andrey T. Tomkiw

Answered . The Bullard Plawecki Employee Right to Know Act, requires an employer to produce a copy for review upon written request, and then provide a copy after the review, or if not practical for you to come in to view it 1st. Only recourse is a civil lawsuit.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.