What can I do if my lawyer seems to not really be working on my MVA injury case and always is short on phone when I call

Asked almost 5 years ago - Baltimore, MD

I have an accident case from 5/09 and the only time I have heard from my lawyer is when I call him. No correspondence at all. I think he is not being truthful and not really working on my case. Just the other day he answered the phone with " I am waiting on your check". I said well OK Hello Mr. -----. Looking online at the insurance company tracking site, it does not look like he has sent them any hospital bills, lost wages or anything. Almost as if he hasn't even contacted them.

1. Mark L Rosenberg

Answered . I agree with Mr. Guralnick. You should schedule a face-to-face meeting with your attorney. If you feel that he is not handling your case properly, you should inform you that you will be seeking new counsel. He has an ethical responsibility to move your case along and communicate with you. If there is some reason for the delay, he should inform you of that.

2. Jeffrey Michael Donato

Answered . Sometimes delays in cases (especially a case that has only be going for about 6-7 months since the date of the accident) are just a normal part of the litigation process. You should probably skip the phone conference and just make an appointment to meet with the attorney in their office. Ask them to have the file ready to be reviewed. If you really want to see what cards they are playing, tell them that you want a full copy of the file. It is your legal file and you are entitled to a copy of that (but before you do that ask them what they charge for copying the file - some charge nothing, some charge a lot). I don't want to see you stuck with another added expense. If they are working on the file, they should have no problem explaining the work going on with the file. They should be able to show you what is going on with the claim (insurance company) and with the litigation (the other attorneys). If they can't do this, it may be time to consider going to a new attorney.

With regard to new attorneys, you can go to ANY attorney in your state that practices law. However, I would suggest you go to an attorney who holds him/herself out as a Personal Injury lawyer. You don't want to get lost in the shuffle again.

My final thoughts are that you should just "go with your gut". Humans have instincts for a reason. Good luck. I hope this answer helps you.

THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT IMPLY OR CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS IMPLIED OR CREATED BY RESPONDING OR FAILING TO RESPOND TO THIS RESPONSE. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE. FOR LEGAL ADVICE, YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY

3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . I suggest that you write to your attorney and request a face-to-face meeting at his office within the next 10 days to discuss the status of your case. If you do not receive a satisfactory response, you may want to consider switching attorneys.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

One or more answers have been taken down.